Beyond the Bra: The Real Support “The Girls” Need
From Night Out with “The Girls” Founder, Jessica Sidener
Well, hello my new friend! I am so thrilled that you are interested in joining our Facebook community: Beyond the Bra: The Real Support “The Girls” Need.
This super safe space was created by “The Girls”. For “The Girls”. About “The Girls.” Like everything else we do, we focus on early breast cancer detection in a manner that exudes comfort, conversation and connection… with a little fun, crazy, laughter and vulnerability sprinkled in the mix!
You may be wondering, is this community for me? Is it worth my time? What the heck will I get out of it? Great questions. We are all busy ladies; our time is precious (but so is our health). Read on to get the scoop!
Is this Community for Me?
Unlike the bras we are all used to, one-size fits all in this underwire-free world of support!
Yep, if you’re interested in learning about early breast cancer detection, taking your health into your own hands, making sure you are doing everything possible to take care of your “girls”, and having fun in the process (yes, it is possible)… this place is for you! It doesn’t matter where you live, your background, age, experiences and/or what you have/have not done with regard to your breast health. We are a place where women can have real/raw dialogue about “the girls,” in a guilt-free, shame-free environment.
If you are a woman. If you care about your health. If you want to take care of “the girls.” If you want some empowerment, encouragement and excitement. If you want to meet some new friends along the way… all in the spirit of catching that darn breast cancer EARLY, I believe this space is not just FOR you, it is MEANT FOR YOU!
Why Should I Care?
Comfort and full support are key when it comes to anything having to do with “the girls”, especially when tackling a tough, scary, vulnerable topic such as early breast cancer detection.
Here is the deal. We gals have a problem. It is called BREAST CANCER. One out of every eight women nationally get diagnosed with this awful disease. Really PAUSE and think about it. Think about that statistic in terms of your cul-de-sac, your girls’ group, your book club, your work colleagues. Think about it in terms of your family: moms, sisters, partners, daughters, nieces, aunts. Takes your breath away, doesn’t it?
When I got “the call”, when the voice on the other end of the line said “it’s breast cancer”, those life-changing words shocked me to my core. When that call is followed up with “Good news. We caught it early,” it is a GAME-CHANGER. It gave me a new perspective, hope and the feeling of empowerment: mentally, emotionally, spiritually.
Here is what I know; breast cancer is a big darn deal and it is impacting women, families and lives EVERYWHERE. Quite frankly, it is absolutely heart-breaking. Although I can’t prevent breast cancer, I would love to get women talking, sharing, learning all about “the girls,” and MOST IMPORTANTLY, taking action immediately when something just isn’t right. So when a woman experiences that same “you have cancer” call, it will be followed up with “we caught it early”. YOU. Caught. It. Early.
So why should you care? Why should you be part of this community? Really, the question is WHY NOT? Trust me, now is better than never to take time for you. Your friends. Your health. Your life.
What Can I Expect?
This non-bra support for “the girls” will always fit, uplift and be as sexy as you want it to be. No measuring tape and no discussion about cup-sizes allowed.
Here is the best news: every bit of this is sexy (yet, there is no itchy lace to worry about). Yep, when you take your health into your hands, when you are empowered, when you exude courage, when it is obvious that you love yourself… that is sexy and that is what we are going to embrace in this community!
The Double Ds (Down and Dirty) of Beyond the Bra
The Real Support “The Girls” Need Community
When you engage in the Beyond the Bra: The Real Support “The Girls” Need community, you will experience quite a few “perks” and hopefully you will leave EVERY interaction feeling a little more:
- Inspired: Whether it’s hearing other women share their breast health journeys, reading that quote that makes you feel like it was posted just for you (at the exact right time), or interacting with other “super supporters” in the community… just like bras, inspiration comes in all shapes and sizes. The only difference is inspiration makes everyone feel good (let’s be real, with bras, that is not always the case).
- Encouraged: Not feeling in the mood to be breast health aware and make that mammo appointment? Are there too many other things on your TO DO list? Like a good bra, you will find this community to be uplifting! We’ve your back and will offer that support and encouragement to make it happen… for yourself, friends and family!
- Educated: We will share good articles, research and info about breast cancer and even feature some of the Night Out with “The Girls” healthcare providers (a.k.a. the girls who help girls further understand “the girls”).
- Celebrated: There is no celebration too small. Did you call the doc to finally make that mammo appointment? Let us celebrate YOU!
- Loved and Served: Yes, this community is all about “the girls”, however, it is really about loving and serving all of you, and each other! We all need a little more of that, don’t you think?
- Most importantly, CONNECTED! YOU are not in this alone. WE are not in this alone. Strap yourself in, get situated, adjust, make sure you are comfy and let’s get ready to become more breast health aware, one woman and one day at a time!
Cheers to taking care of “The Girls” and letting me serve you in this AWESOME way. What an honor!
Be Kind and Courteous
We’re all in this together to create a welcoming environment. Let’s treat everyone with respect. Healthy debates are natural, but kindness is required.
No Hate Speech or Bullying
Make sure everyone feels safe. Bullying of any kind isn’t allowed, and degrading comments about things like race, religion, culture, sexual orientation, gender or identity will not be tolerated.
No Promotions or Spam
Give more than you take to this group. Self-promotion, spam and irrelevant links aren’t allowed.
Respect Everyone’s Privacy
Being part of this group requires mutual trust. Authentic, expressive discussions make groups great, but may also be sensitive and private. What’s shared in the group should stay in the group.
Do Not Ask Medical Questions
This is not the space to ask specific or general medical questions of any kind. If you have medical questions that is probably a great indication that you should give your doc a call.
This Space Should Never Replace a Visit with Your Medical Provider
Anything associated with Night Out with “The Girls” (events, posts, vlogs, blogs, etc.) are for informational and educational purposes only. They are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment that can be provided by my own physician or other licensed or registered physical or mental healthcare professional.
That is the MOST important! Yes, we can have fun and learn all about early breast cancer detection.
Embrace the Opportunities to Encourage, Inspire and Celebrate
Yes, let’s pour into each other, serve each other and love on each other in the name of breast health awareness. Us girls need to support each other during our journeys of taking care of “the girls.”